Bushcraftliving.com Homepage  

Go Back   Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum > Kit > Cutting Tools

Old 28-10-2010, 17:56   #1
siberianfury
I Am SiR DigBY

siberianfury is on a distinguished road
Default The Timber Wolf Bushcraft Knife

a reveiw of the timberwolf bushcraft knife, similar in many respects to a modified sypderco bushie. made by gary mills and supplied by the bushcraft store, click the link to see the reveiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnLLducLO1Y
Old 28-10-2010, 18:08   #2
Spamel
Why am I always last to make the team?

Spamel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Timber Wolf Bushcraft Knife

Are you seriously carving that peg, on your leg?! I think I've seen enough, Josh you need to get yourself on a course and learn safe knife use. You are an accident waiting to happen, and the feather stick carving between your legs, WTF?! You're taking risks that don't need to be taken, you will have a nasty accident one of these days.

"I'd rather be a leper than a ginger!"

Spam's Mum,
August 2010
Spamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 18:15   #3
siberianfury
I Am SiR DigBY

siberianfury is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamel View Post
Are you seriously carving that peg, on your leg?! I think I've seen enough, Josh you need to get yourself on a course and learn safe knife use. You are an accident waiting to happen, and the feather stick carving between your legs, WTF?! You're taking risks that don't need to be taken, you will have a nasty accident one of these days.
look on half the videos on youtube about carving feathersticks, they do it in excatly the same way, i was using my leg as a rest for my arm, however the edge was away from my leg so in the event of the knife suddenly lightsabering through the wood it would not cut me.
Old 28-10-2010, 18:20   #4
Spamel
Why am I always last to make the team?

Spamel is on a distinguished road

Give over Josh, you carved the peg with your leg underneath. You had your legs either side of where you were carving also; if you don't chop yer cock off you're gonna nick your femoral artery. You've been told, it's up to you now, but I strongly suggest you do something as it is plainly obvious by now that your safety is not what it should be. Sure, we all get cuts now and then, you will do when playing with razor sharp steel, but this is the second video you have posted recently that has such woeful forethought in knife safety that something has to be said if to only protect people who may not know of these safety tips and watch your video and do themselves a massive injury. When I was in the Forces, we were told to never demonstrate an unsafe technique, and I think that is the best way in anything.

What your videos show is knife use at about as improper as it can get, and there is no point blaming other videos for your bad practise. Learn the right way and show people through your videos, as they are popular. You have a captive audience, make the most of it.

"I'd rather be a leper than a ginger!"

Spam's Mum,
August 2010
Spamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 18:42   #5
Celt_Ginger
NIBA

Celt_Ginger is on a distinguished road

Got to agree with Spam there Josh. It's poor drills mate. The Tent peg bit and the bit at the end where you were slicing sirectly towards your thumb had me wincing. I would also like to disagree with you about a flaired front on a handle being more comfortable in prolonged use. I've worked in a job where I had to use a knife for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and I'd much prefer one without a flaired front. I'd make sure that you state that it's your opinion about one handle shape being more comfortable than another and not make it come across as a pure fact. Other than that, it's a good video.
Old 28-10-2010, 19:14   #6
WolfCub

WolfCub is on a distinguished road

I've only watched a few of your vids, you've made several interesting observations on some of the blades you've used, fair play.

I've never commented on your blade use previously as you seemed to have several people speaking up for you and your keenness, interest, better than on street corner etc ..............

all very fair comments.

however, and please don't take instant offense, stop and think

If you were my apprentice, or even just a bloke working on the next block . I would verbaly kick your ar**e so hard your f*****g nose would bleed boy !

I'm not saying this just on this vid but on several you've done.

Please, stop and think on the comments being made by some very experienced people who arn't just pi***ng on you.

You put yourself forward as a sort of 'instructor', fine, I know a lot of kids who could bennifit from a sensible ballanced older teenager having some input.
But if you are going to be that , if you really want to help, then listen to others and make adjustments to be even better at it.

Rant asside, I'd agree with CG on the handle shape to the front (and his comment on 'personal opinions'), based on the same experience, but you've put forward some very sound arguments for this knife.............. wish I wasn't so skint !
WolfCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:41   #7
W0lf

W0lf is on a distinguished road

I like your videos Josh and watched most of them, apart from the comedy sketches which are aimed at kids I assume. There's a lot of folk here who have a lot of experience and are all echoing similar thoughts/opinions regarding safety. It's quite nice to know so many people are looking out for you even if criticism can be hard to take. Probably a knife course might be worth while. Anyone recommend any good ones I probably should do the same!!

Regarding the opinion being caveated as 'opinion'. I get a little sick of having to see everything come with a disclaimer. It's so corporate. People should be able to tell the difference between fact and opinion. Fact: the knife is made of steel. Absolute comment no subjectivity. Opinion: handle A is comfier than handle B. Subjective. Do we really need to say every subjective comment is an opinion?? Yawn.
W0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:54   #8
Celt_Ginger
NIBA

Celt_Ginger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lf View Post
I like your videos Josh and watched most of them, apart from the comedy sketches which are aimed at kids I assume. There's a lot of folk here who have a lot of experience and are all echoing similar thoughts/opinions regarding safety. It's quite nice to know so many people are looking out for you even if criticism can be hard to take. Probably a knife course might be worth while. Anyone recommend any good ones I probably should do the same!!

Regarding the opinion being caveated as 'opinion'. I get a little sick of having to see everything come with a disclaimer. It's so corporate. People should be able to tell the difference between fact and opinion. Fact: the knife is made of steel. Absolute comment no subjectivity. Opinion: handle A is comfier than handle B. Subjective. Do we really need to say every subjective comment is an opinion?? Yawn.
When you are making a video for product review, then yes. You should make the difference between fact and opinion clear.
Old 29-10-2010, 08:06   #9
W0lf

W0lf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt_Ginger View Post
When you are making a video for product review, then yes. You should make the difference between fact and opinion clear.
Is that a fact or an opinion?
W0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:06   #10
Bernie Garland
I'm a fanny magnet me, honest
Banned

Bernie Garland is on a distinguished road

Freddie (hobbyx)'s Vids are extremely popular, and he has a huge worldwide following,his knife safety is crap,but thats the way he works and it works for him

To me there is no right or wrong way to do anything,

Another good Vid Josh
Bernie Garland is offline   Reply With Quote