Bushcraftliving.com Homepage  

Go Back   Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum > Bushcraft & Outdoors Forums > Bushcraft and Survival

Old 19-01-2009, 11:47   #1
Gary

Gary is on a distinguished road
Default bushcraft instructors assesments .......anyone?

IOL - Bushcraft Training for Outdoor Practitioners!!

Well I bet Ray Mears is Quaking in his boots now ..................

http://www.outdoor-learning.org/membership/bushcraft_survial_sig.htm

www.SurvivALL.co.uk - for the Survivor !

Apache father to his son -
"Trust no one, not your father, your brother or any of your friends ......eventually they will all let you down! Trust only your hands, your wit and yourself - these things will never let you down!"
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:03   #2
steve
The bubble has burst
Mod

steve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bushcraft instructors assesments .......anyone?

Read whats being assessed
http://www.outdoor-learning.org/memb...iteria.doc.pdf

So if you can build a shelter,light a fire, use tools safely and do a bit of water treatment your in.Anyone who has done a basic course should be able to pass that.

On the cutting tools section, cant see anything about basic first aid for cuts, and YOU know dispite what ever you say and do, someone on a course is going to cut themselves.

Personally I dont think its worth 500 + but thats just me.
Old 19-01-2009, 12:06   #3
Bernie Garland
I'm a fanny magnet me, honest
Banned

Bernie Garland is on a distinguished road

I'll just keep plodding along,and keep me poke in my pocket

Bernie
Bernie Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:18   #4
spiritofold
Ill never grow up.

spiritofold is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to spiritofold

500 quid

And the website's made from cheapo templates! Charging that much you'd think they could get better web design than that!

http://www.spiritofold.co.uk
spiritofold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:20   #5
Scotty
HERE'SSSS SCOTTY
Admin

Scotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Christ on a bike, 320 for a basic weekend course, **** Turpin had more manners than that
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:32   #6
steve
The bubble has burst
Mod

On second thoughts it was not fair of me to question the course and assessment without trying it, so if someone would like to sponsor me for the sum of 520, I'll do it and then supply a comprehensive write up.
Old 19-01-2009, 13:35   #7
JP
Day dreaming..........
Admin

Location: In a forest, sitting by a lake, by a fire, with my friends.
JP is on a distinguished road

320 for a basic bushcraft course is a bit strong IMO as thats all it is but with another Name tag.
If you want to big up yourself just pay the 20 so you can put the Member of IOL link on the bottom of your website, its much cheaper than 320 eh lol .
Good luck to those involved if they can make a coin out of it in the present climate then thats good business, but for a cert from the IOL to say your a qualified bushcraft practitioner is a bit strong they will be knocking out common sense weekends next lol
The last course I was involved in teaching on had 9 outdoor instructors from two different outdoor learning institutes they learnt all of those skills and more and it was catered for! That was for near enough half that price give a score or so, OK they didn't get a certificate but is it worth 140 more just for a piece of paper??
I personally think certificates in bushcraft given for a course such as this aren't worth the paper they are printed on as there is only so much practice you can get in after the theory during the day, you could do a full weekend in fire craft for example and still not teach everything to a student, they would have to go and practice their skills a lot more, but saying that they would have much more to pass on to someone than if they did a crammed course, again Dave is a smashing bloke and he knows his stuff but I don't think there's enough practice involved to be accredited buy any organisation worth its salt, but that's just my opinion.

Follow me n Pablo on twitter JP_Woodlife / Pablo_Woodlife

The Best Bushcraft mag by far

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 13:40   #8
robin wood

robin wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Read whats being assessed
http://www.outdoor-learning.org/memb...iteria.doc.pdf

So if you can build a shelter,light a fire, use tools safely and do a bit of water treatment your in.Anyone who has done a basic course should be able to pass that.

On the cutting tools section, cant see anything about basic first aid for cuts, and YOU know dispite what ever you say and do, someone on a course is going to cut themselves.

Personally I dont think its worth 500 + but thats just me.
I think the PDF you posted the link to is exactly that a piece of paper to prove that you can do all things that you do on a basic bushcraft course and costs 95 for 2 days not 520 as they say it is for "existing Outdoor Practitioners who use Bushcraft and who feel that they have a good basic competence without the need for further training."

I have known Dave Watson for about 10 years and he is pretty good at his stuff though I have never done one of his courses. What they are trying to do is to attempt some sort of standard throughout the industry. Is it needed? is it helpful? will enough folk sign into it to make it work? I don't know, there is a bit of me that thinks it's a small world and we don't need the added layer of bureaucracy. I have certainly opted out on such attempts within the green wood industry. Then there is a bit of me that looks at all the crap youtube vids of halfhearted attempts at bushcraft and wonders if there are folk out there running courses like that. I don't know what the general standard is around the country.

Say I am totally new to the field, have watched a few episodes of RM and fancy a course, I see there is someone running them localy what are the chances they will be any good? Personally if I was going to book a course I would do some more research, google a bit try and get personal recomendations. I don't think that knowing the instructor is qualified to level 33 on the Mears scale would impress me but then I natuarly rebel against any authority and am tight.
Old 19-01-2009, 13:54   #9
Gary

Gary is on a distinguished road

I have known Dave Watson for about 10 years and he is pretty good at his stuff - I agree with you Robin Daves a nice enough bloke and as JP's says if folks buy into this and he makes a few bob good luck to him!

What they are trying to do is to attempt some sort of standard throughout the industry. Question is what or who gives them the right to decide the industrial standard and more to the point why set it so low in any case. Bushcraft while flooded with the good the bad and ugly doesnt need to go down the same road as other outdoor pursuits if it does sooner or later you wont be allowed to even use knives incase someone cuts themself or some other equally stupid PC ball!

Then there is a bit of me that looks at all the crap youtube vids of halfhearted attempts at bushcraft and wonders if there are folk out there running courses like that. Make you right there, there are loads out there but sadly bushcraft dont need the nanny state tell us what we can do and who can do it - more to the point who them polices the police? Its a sad fact that imo little can be done about the dodgy school and the crap - certainly this isnt an answer - sadly even if this became the standard there would still be bad schools out there - it would change nothing as the qualification is hollow and no officail capacity or backing

I don't think that knowing the instructor is qualified to level 33 on the Mears scale would impress me but then I natuarly rebel against any authority and am tight. Having worked with Mearsy and having seen the other instructors coming from that fold I'd personally rather have someone qualified to level 33 there than by some independant group like the IOL who maybe with the best of intentions are still simply a money making organisation jumping on the band wagon in a new way with no legitimate backing from any government department ect ect - if they were truely worried about standards why not do the courses for free??

Maybe a bit of empire building is going on after all I seem to remember someone also trying to set themselves up as the authority to which everyone had to answer if and when schools started teaching bushcraft as a GCE ............mere coincidence ??

www.SurvivALL.co.uk - for the Survivor !

Apache father to his son -
"Trust no one, not your father, your brother or any of your friends ......eventually they will all let you down! Trust only your hands, your wit and yourself - these things will never let you down!"

Last edited by Gary; 19-01-2009 at 14:08.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 14:06   #10
steve
The bubble has burst
Mod

IOL - Bushcraft Training for Outdoor Practitioners
  • To meet a growing need in Outdoor Education we are now providing a system of courses to equip those of you who are/aiming to use Bushcraft skills as part of your programmes.
  • These three day training courses have been created by the Bushcraft and Survival Skills SIG using some of the most experienced trainers of Bushcraft in the country.
  • The initial courses take place at Spring Wood (Derbys/Leics Border) and will cover the basic skills of Bushcraft in order to clarify good practice and help you understand how things can really work.
  • Subjects will include: General Safety and Hygiene, Use of sharp tools, Effective Shelter Construction, Basic Fire Lighting, Friction Fire Lighting, Water Purification, Sustainable use of resources.
  • - 31st March-2nd April 2009, 28th 30th April 2009. (Further course dates to be arranged)
  • Cost: 320 per student
  • Following these there will be a series of 2 day assessments (dates to be confirmed) which then lead to being recognised by the IOL as a Bushcraft session provider and be listed on the web site. These will be priced at 200 per person.
  • To book your place speak to Louise at IOL 01768 885800 or contact Dave Watson 07736 225035/ 01283 730851
Bushcraft Practitioner Assessment
  • Bushcraft Practitioner Assessment - 18-19 March 2009
  • Introductory Price 95 (200 - regular price)
  • This two day pilot assessment is open to existing Outdoor Practitioners who use Bushcraft and who feel that they have a good basic competence without the need for further training. Click here for Programme.
  • Details of the 3 criteria are available here (pdf) but an overview is given below.
  • - Basic competence in putting up a debris shelter
    - Good understanding in the safe use of basic tools
    - Competent in creating fire both with sparks and friction
    - Understanding in the basics of water filtering and purification
  • Contact Dave Watson of Woodland Survival Crafts or Louise at IOL.

Regular price as I read it is 320 for the course and 200 for the assessment, yes you can do the assessment on its own if you like, but if I as a novice did the course and the assessment, then paid my membership, would I then be an instructor.
The range of skills and methods taught by different people is so hard to regulate, who says the shelter I build is better or worse than someone elses because I use a different method of construction, both keep you warm and dry. What if I teach different skills to what other schools teach that arnt covered by the IOL programme.
Do you teach carving skills the same as everyone else ?, I bet you dont but is your method wrong?.
I know what Dave is trying to do,and I've known him a fair few years also. I just think its damm near impossible to audit and the whole range of skills that people put under the bushcraft banner.
And as Gary said, when Woodlore sign up to it............