Bushcraftliving.com Homepage  

Go Back   Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum > Bushcraft & Outdoors Forums > Outdoor Sports

Old 27-02-2010, 05:13   #1
hedgerow pete

hedgerow pete is on a distinguished road
Default air gun night sight

I like a good many others have an air rifle and a standard scope but lack the several thousand pounds to have a nightscope to be able to shoot rats and rabbits

I have just been looking through the machine mart catalogue and they are selling a small hand held night viewer for 112 sounds daft but after a lot of money saving we happen to have enough to buy one, is it as simple as duct taping it to the front of the scope??

the rules of the questions is that I can only afford 120 out lay so dont suggest buying exspenives jobbies or other out of my reach ideas, also I dont realy want to dismantle my telescope to swap with the view on the odd occasion i do want to sit outside in the cold shooting rats at my chicken pens

so all answers must follow the KISS principle please
hedgerow pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 17:01   #2
Bernie Garland
I'm a fanny magnet me, honest
Banned

Bernie Garland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: air gun night sight

Get yourself a gunlamp,

Bernie
Bernie Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 17:32   #3
Deerhunter
Vegetable from space

Deerhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Garland View Post
Get yourself a gunlamp,

Bernie
With a red filter so the rats don't leg it.
Old 27-02-2010, 17:53   #4
Scarecrow

Scarecrow is on a distinguished road

yeah just lamp them its much cheaper
Old 27-02-2010, 21:38   #5
siberianfury
I Am SiR DigBY

siberianfury is on a distinguished road

i strapped my led Lenser torch to the bottom of my rifle with ducktape, does the job at close range..
Old 27-02-2010, 22:26   #6
MrEd
BCL Spammer

MrEd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberianfury View Post
i strapped my led Lenser torch to the bottom of my rifle with ducktape, does the job at close range..
With Fenix torches that you can get a replacement tail cap that has a soft touch switch wired in on the end of a piece of cable. Its so you can use it on a gun etc

See here
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/accessor...re_switch.html

I have one of these and it phenomenal for the size, you can get brighter ones now though, and on turbo it canes batteries but you can get rechargeables for them - NB* the remote switch isnt compatible with this torch but it is with others in their range!
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torc...ix_p3d_q5.html

Mine is strapped on the side of my caving helmet and has survived much abuse, including falling off at the top of a 6oft pitch, me torch and camera went smack at the bottom, surprisingly nothing broke on the torch,

you could do all that for well under budget and you can use it for walking the dog etc
Old 28-02-2010, 05:37   #7
hedgerow pete

thanks for all the ideas but back to the question has anyone just straped a night viewer of any sort to the the front of thier scopes and does it work?
Old 28-02-2010, 08:43   #8
fish
maker of 'pults.

fish is on a distinguished road

the main problem with the cheaper night sights ,handheld or gun mounted is that they are Gen1 ie the earlier models,they are very limeted mostly due to the IR lamp affixed to them is very weak,a larger IR lamp will help. gaffer tapeing the unit to a scope will work but may prove problematic. some good units are available for around 500.00 sometimes less,its a matter of having cash about you when someones skint,try a wanted advert on the hunting life forum it has 10's of thousands of members and so is good for finding stuff.
of course once you have found a suitable night scope some numpty will pipe up with 'oh i sold one last week for a tenner'!!
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:23   #9
tworivers

tworivers is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have gen 1 night sight its fab for spoting people and cows but its not any good for picking out a fox its just not detailed snough. Even if you spent 1.50 on one you would think that a complete waste of money. these cheaper night vision stuff are just toys and are bloody useless for hunting at night.
as advised get youself a good torch, I use CLUSON stuff as its good rechargable and spares are a click away. If you are just shooting rats with an air rifle then one of the cheaper ones would be fine. As the theory is the least bright the better. These millions candle power are ok for seeing things a mile away but thats no use if your bullet dont go that far. Rat shooting has to be the best sport, nobody loves a rat.
tworivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 14:06   #10
hedgerow pete

what i am trying is shotting the rats at my allotment at a range of around 6 metres and they are feeding from a fixed foos point , ie the posision of the food tray , i am sitting in an older chicken pen so we both are fixed, I started shooting in the day time but they soon got wise to that so i used the small garden solar lights that you stick in the ground, and now they are very nervous of those evan tho i leave quite large gaps in between shoots of a fourtnight or more, i have been using the red light idea with a small torch left on over a week or so of nights but as ever mr. ratty is getting wise to that to , i can set up a small infer red light seperate to the rifle over the feeding area so that when i thought of these cheap gen night viewers rather than a full blown scope also the main point is money all i have saved up is 100 since work and wages are in very short supply i cant spend any more, we are evan hitch hikeing to the shooting show in newark because the petrol and the car needs garage works , so no 500 scopes just yet. I just thought that over such a short distance with an extra light it could be do able that was all and with out having to dismantle my scope that is all ready mounted